Disaster Debris Management Planning
Local, state, and federal government agencies have the responsibility to preserve life and property during emergencies. Recognizing that disasters often produce substantial volumes of debris — creating hazardous conditions that endanger the public and disrupt the essential daily lifestyle and economy of the community — and that planning for such disasters can lessen the impact on the community, economy, and the environment, public-sector entities develop Disaster Debris Management Plans to facilitate a rapid response and recovery to debris-generating incidents. GBB has the background and expertise to provide disaster debris planning and recovery assistance, including the collection, transportation, processing and disposal requirements, and private sector services auditing.
GBB has provided “fast-response” solid waste management consulting services to hundreds of public-sector clients around the United States. The management of disaster debris and demolition waste, resulting from hurricane or tornado damage and flooding, can be complex, costly, and logistically challenging. GBB staff are professional waste management consultants who are keenly aware of the procedures, logistics, systems, and services necessary to effectively plan, implement, track, monitor, and report the management of Disaster Debris and control the overall costs in our clients’ best interests.
- Implementation of a disaster materials management plan
- Identification of appropriate collection areas/zones
- Identification of collection methods and equipment requirements
- Assistance with procurement/contracting for collection/processing/disposal service
- Review of local Disaster Debris separation and recycling opportunities
- Monitoring the Disaster Debris collection system during route pickup
- Monitoring the Disaster Debris handling system and delivery at staging area(s)
- Data accumulation and analysis for FEMA payment
- Data review and quality control
- Assistance with contractor disputes and their resolution
- Invoicing assistance (including data input, auditing, and reconciliation)
- Management assistance with closeout of contracts
[ Download Capability Statement for Disaster Debris Management Planning ]
[ Get in touch to discuss ]
Selected Project Descriptions:
Development of Disaster Debris Management Plan
City of Fort Worth, Texas
In view of past national, state, and local damaging man‐made and natural disasters, and to prepare for future potentially catastrophic events, the City of Fort Worth tasked a team led by GBB with developing a Disaster Debris Management Plan.
Development of Debris Management Plan
Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Anne Arundel County tasked a team led by GBB to develop a Debris Management Plan to facilitate a rapid response and recovery to debris‐generating incidents.
Related GBB Article:
The Importance of Materials Recovery Coordination in Construction & Demolition
Corinne Rico, GBB Project Manager
Construction & Demolition Recycling and Waste Today – March/April 2020
Related GBB Presentation:
Disaster Preparedness in the Age of the Superstorm: Creating a Disaster Debris Management Plan
Lori Scozzafava, GBB Senior Vice President, Operation Officer
Municipal Waste Management Association Summit?– October 2017